Many of you will be on the road traveling for the spring holiday season, so I wanted to share some useful tips to minimize back pain and muscle spasm associated with long drives:
- Be sure to take a break at least every 2 hours from driving.
- Once you have stopped in a safe, well-lit location, get out of your car and walk around, even if only long enough to circle your car.
- Stretch if possible. Some stretches can even be done in the car while you are waiting to turn off of or onto an exit.
- Adjust your seat. Moving the seat forward or back one notch and/or tilting the seatback forward or back one notch will change the angle of stress placed on your back & hips to provide some relief for your muscles and joints.
- Use the lumbar support that is integrated in your car seat, or use a lumbar cushion if your car is not equipped with this feature.
- If you are traveling by plane or bus, many of these same tips can be followed; just adapt them to your situation.
Please feel free to call me at 770-578-4343 if you have any questions. Have a safe trip!